Friday, August 24, 2007

Wake-up Call

The day started normally enough. Woke up, got ready, had breakfast, fought and cursed my way through morning traffic, reached office, parked my bike and entered office. And walked bang right into a boat load of work. It was one of those days when every time I lowered my bottom to sit in my chair, something came up for me to handle. At work I am usually expected to handle training, visit clients, call them, fire-fight for them, prepare for POCs and such. Today, there seemed to be too many of all them to handle at the same time. Phew! After praying for the umpteenth time that the day should end earlier than usual, it finally did. The prayers were only half answered, though, since the end of day came around a couple of hours later than usual. Well, I was just happy it did come to an end.

Back at home, the day finally got better. Opened Noodle-House to find that today my blog had been swamped by visitors and I am not talking about my 5 to 10 visitors a day suddenly morphing into 50 to 60 visitors. I am talking about the kind of swamping which involves getting hit by nearly 10 thousand visitors. In one day. No, I haven't tried to figure out why and how this had happened. After all, haven't we been taught not to look a gift horse in the mouth!? Anyway, barely able to contain my glee, I checked to see if this massive influx of new patrons to Noodle House has had an effect on its balance sheet. And what an effect it was! My Adsense revenue, which was a high $3 and some change to spare before today, seemed to have got an unhealthy but very welcome kick up its backside, to land on the other side of the $100 mark. And the icing on this cake? About 600 odd votes for me in the Blogger's Choice Awards - Humor Blog category. This was all too much for me to handle, especially after the kind of day I had had. I wanted to let out a whoop of joy, jump around in excitement and break down and cry, all at the same time. I did.

The next thing I know, I was on the floor looking at the security guard who looked large, and strangely distorted, to my wet eyes, as he bent over me with a mixture of concern and alarm on his face. That's when I felt his hand on my shoulder, the pain in my knee and the bump on my fore-head. As I sat up and saw that I was in my empty office, realization came flooding into my excuse-for-a-brain. I had whooped and cried and jumped in my sleep, which resulted in me hitting my desk and falling to the carpet and brought the security guard running inside to check the noise. And the blog and everything else that had happened was just a dream. Damn!!

No comments: