Sunday, August 12, 2007

I better not Think!!

From here onwards, I have decided not to think too hard. And if possible, not to think at all. Immaterial of how necessary it is for me to do so. And I have decided to take this extreme step in the interest of humanity and their well being. Wondering what the connection is between the two?

Consider these:

  1. -Year: 2004. Date: Sometime in December - Was in the US that time (my firm had sent me for a 2 month visit) and I had to decide if I wanted to push for an extension of my stay or to just go back. Thought of all the reasons why I had to get an extension and thought of everything I had to go back to. I thought long and hard and decided to go back.
  2. -Year: 2005. Date: Sometime in August - 4 years after supposedly having completed my formal education, I thought of going back to school. At that time, I was comfortable in my job, earning a good name for myself and was taking home a not so good but adequate pay packet. To give all this up and go back to school was a big decision to make for me. And so I thought long and hard about the pros and cons of taking such a step and finally decided to up and leave.
  3. -Year: 2005. Date: Sometime in September - I knew I didn't have the dough to pay my way through but I wanted to get into the Indian School of Business. This again was a situation where I had to think hard about my options and the positive/negative aspects of such a move and take a decision. Finally decided to go ahead with it.
  4. -Year: 2006. Date: Sometime in May - In spite of my failure to get into any of the IIMs or into the ISB in my first attempt, I was determined to make it into the hallowed grounds of one of these schools in my second. And I had to think hard again, but this time it was about how to convince my folks to go along with the idea. Somehow managed it.
  5. -Year: 2007. Date: Sometime in May - Decided to quit my then current job and look for other opportunities. Easy decision to make but had to think a lot about where to go. Finally decided on the place I am currently employed in.

Now consider these:

  1. -Year: 2004. Date: Sometime in December - Devastating Tsunami hits South-East Asia, rendering tens of thousands home-less and base-less in addition to killing thousands more.
  2. -Year: 2005. Date: Sometime in August - Two words. Hurricane Katrina.
  3. -Year: 2005. Date: Sometime in October - Indian stock markets crash. Thousands of investors are literally left bankrupt.
  4. -Year: 2006. Date: Sometime in May - Indian stock markets crash yet again. And this time its bigger than the one in Oct '05.
  5. -Year: 2007. Date: Sometime in May - Un-seasonal and continuous rain is making life hell for residents in Chennai.

There you go. Didn't realize it that time but now I have. It's about time I stopped thinking.

No comments: