Monday, November 26, 2007

Am trying to make the money work

I spent around 21 years on my first job. They provided for my education and food and clothes and stay but the take home pay was non-existent for all intents and purposes. I stayed on for so long with them because I didn't have another option that I could opt for. In such circumstances, when I was offered a decent 5 figure salary (after taxes) by a firm, it was a no-brainer to take it up. Yes, they didn't pay for the education and food and clothes and stay like my folks had done all through those years when I was growing up but they gave me the option of showing-off some big numbers against my name in the bank account and I jumped at the offer. I spent most of the last 6 years with this firm, all the while watching the pile in the bank account swell in size. I recently (assuming that I can call 6 months as recent) took up a position with another firm for the third job that I have ever held. Since I have been talking about my bank account and the number of zeros padding the numbers in it, let's just say that this most recent switch is causing the bank account to swell faster. (For those of you currently working with me AND reading this, I switched because I am genuinely interested in the work we do. I also make a lot less than you!)

Now to get to the point that I wanted to make with this post.

I want more in that bank account of mine. I wish that the growing swell in my bank account somehow inherits the property of 'uncontrolled growth' from cancerous cells and multiply without any of the negative side-effects. What, wanting more of that green stuff makes me a bad guy now? Well, I am sure that I am not. I am just a tiny-weeny bit greedy. But that is not the point. The point is that I want more. In this regard there is something, that the CEO of my previous firm said, that I still remember. 'Tis probably the only thing he said that I remember and he has said a lot during the last 6 years. His exact words elude me right now but the gist of what he said was that every one of us has to think about maximizing the potential of our money to grow. He said that we shouldn't work for money, rather we should make our money work for us. Powerful words those. It was some kind of meeting when he said it and I was doing the usual hide-from-view-and-sleep routine. Those words were powerful enough to actually permeate into my sleeping head and find a permanent place in the limited free space available there.

Since the time he let slip those pearls of wisdom, I have been on a look out for a way to make my money work for me. Now, after having put in a few years worth of trials in getting that idea to actually work, there is only one conclusion I can come to. He didn't somehow forget that little detail of telling us how to make it happen, he didn't tell us on purpose.

2 comments:

Meghna said...

Hi Vishnu,
You are fabulous! How can you do it? You make everything sound so funny the way you write it, even serious talks! I wish I could do it that way!
Your boss sure told you a good thing which will go a long way for me in my life to. I'm grateful to him and you too!
keep writing and I hope you can succeed in getting money work for you!

AVP said...

Ok. :o)(That's me blushing)
Thanks for the compliments.