Tuesday, May 20, 2014

All the best

I know that the world's largest democracy has finally seen the end of the most massive elections in its history a few days back. But I have to confess that I am still on an election high. I voted. The BJP won. 

To be clear, the party I voted for didn't win and I didn't vote for BJP because my gut says they haven't let go of their hindutva radicalism. Another reason for not being positive about BJP is Modi, the current PM designate who is apparently an astute administrator but seeing how belligerent (and in my opinion, arrogant) he comes across on TV, I look at him only as a full fledged politician. Whether he has the administration chops required or not will be found out over the next five years. Given that we regressed during the tenure of an intellectual, maybe it is time for a politician to take over! Everything said and done, the democratic process has handed victory to BJP and Modi and I have no problem accepting that the next five years will be theirs to run the government and do something about the mess we find ourselves in.

So the pertinent question now is: what can we look forward to? Broadly speaking, Modi won by saying and promising the right things - Development, Growth, End of corruption. Hopefully he can deliver on those. And hopefully without any accompanying hindutva related nonsense being shoved down our throats.

Wishing all of us the best of luck for the next 5 years.

No comments: